You should ideally start with your primary care physician, depending on the severity and urgency of your symptoms it may be necessary to see a rheumatologist first. Here are instances when you should see a rheumatologist. Joint pain and swelling. You have been told you have a rheumatologic condition. Abnormal autoimmune lab tests and inflammation markers. You have seen a number of physicians and still do not know what is wrong, sometimes rheumatologic conditions are difficult to diagnose.